Re: Getting started with a 770, tips?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:17:42 -0500, chombee <chombee@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:12:10AM +0100, sebastian maemo wrote:
2010/2/11 chombee <chombee@xxxxxxxxxxx> Hi chombee:

I do not recommend you to use OS2008HE... Nevertheless, I think I can
really help you, since I'm still using 770 and a real fanboy of this
device...  I (still) use it at work!!!

Wow! I'm glad I found another 770 user. There isn't much more I can do
with the OS that came on my 770 right now (OS2006 I think) but I'll just
keep using it and see how it goes. So far the web browser works but I
have no shell and email is pretty much unusable, I haven't tried out any
other apps yet.

I think the last release of OS2007HE looks good. Lots of user reports
say it works well, and it fixes this WLAN memory corruption bug (which
I'm going to have to do something about anyway, because with crashing
applications and a corrupted memory card I think my device may be
suffering from the bug). Would you recommend OS2007HE?

First start playing with your new device, and in a few days I'll send
you some important tips in order to bring your 770 to full power...

I look forward to it!

I don't know about the N770 in particular as I had the N800, but I can say I had much better results with the Minimo browser than I did with the built in Opera-based browser before I upgraded to OS2008. I see it's available for OS2006 as well so you may want to give that a shot.

Claws Mail is also available for OS2006 which is a great mail client.. I actually use it on my desktop as well. It's not perfect on the Tablet as far as how intuitive it is (again: I am not speaking from experience about OS2006 so I don't know how it differs), but it's a full-featured client for sure.