Re: N900 without a SIM card

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> 2010/1/11 Alejandro López <listas.apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm considering buying one, but I'm not interested in using it as a phone, so I plan to put no SIM card. Some time ago I read on this same list that the N900 had some problems when no SIM card was inserted but I can't find that mail. Is this problem still true? Is there a fix planned? What exactly is not working?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alejandro.
>
> Are you sure you can´t get a SIM card? ANY SIM card?.
> Down here in Argentina, you can have a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile
> phone line, where you buy and load credit for it wiith $15 cards you
> buy everywhere.

You mean that there is no data transfer when checking the position? I read about someone from Italy saying that each time he had to pay 1 euro.

> Those lines often feature voice service, but no data plans. AND they
> come with a SIM card.

Does the SIM card need to be activated? I think I still have one I bought in my last travel to Argentina, but I don't think it will be recognized in France. :( And I find it quite expensive to pay 18 euros/month just to avoid this bug.

> phone, then swap the SIM card with the N900. Bingo, you have a sim
> card on your N900.

I see that there are some ways to work around this problem, but wouldn't it be easier if it just worked correctly from the beginning. I understand that it is the FCC that Nokia cares about, but I don't live in the USA, so why should I (and the rest of the world) be constrained by their laws?

Alejandro.