Re: N900 without a SIM card

2010/1/11 Alejandro López <listas.apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering buying one, but I'm not interested in using it as a phone, so I plan to put no SIM card. Some time ago I read on this same list that the N900 had some problems when no SIM card was inserted but I can't find that mail. Is this problem still true? Is there a fix planned? What exactly is not working?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alejandro.

Are you sure you can´t get a SIM card? ANY SIM card?.
Down here in Argentina, you can have a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile
phone line, where you buy and load credit for it wiith $15 cards you
buy everywhere.

Those lines often feature voice service, but no data plans. AND they
come with a SIM card.

The cost of getting one of those phone lines is next to nothing*, as
the business for the telcos is selling you credit (the
price-per-minute ends up beying sky-high but you´re not interested in
that). Just get one of those phone lines with the cheapest possible
phone, then swap the SIM card with the N900. Bingo, you have a sim
card on your N900.

*Down here the cheaoest is often the Motorola F3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE_F3

"According to its very low price (starting from 20 to 30 €/$) the
F3/F3c is mainly sold with prepaid (pay-as-you-go) SIM cards"

"n Brazil, this phone (without SIM-lock) is sold for BRL 99.00 as of
February 2008 (approx. USD 57.00)"

"In the UK, this phone is being sold by Home Bargains (as of
29/04/2008) and £-Stretcher (as of 07/06/2008) with a Virgin Mobile
SIM (T-Mobile network) for £7.99"

FC