Re: possible bug in N900 Maemo 5 desktop ??

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Peter Flynn <peter.flynn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Curious. I like my N800 since I finally got everything I wanted running.
>
> However, the N900 clearly has some way to go before it would interest me.
> I'm unclear why it was necessary to break so much that was working in OS2008
> in order to make Maemo5, although I'm sure the developers had their reasons.
>
> Maemo5 is clearly an experimental platform, whereas OS2008 is (now) a usable
> tool -- in its turn the N800 platform was to some extent an experiment when
> it came out. Maemo5 does not seem to have learned as much from the N800
> experience, though, which is a pity. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to
> afford an N900...
>
> ///Peter

Maemo4 is fine as long as you don't want to do anything serious or are
capable of writing your own apps. All of the apps that work really
well are things that you can do with pretty much *any* device (games
and other fluff). The more critical apps have too many bugs and miss
too much functionality; e.g. mapping apps don't navigate (contrary to
one of the main selling points of the NITs), PIMs don't import/export
worth a flip and/or don't support enough fields (vCard just doesn't
cut it), getting root access (which is critical in any *nix system) is
a PITA and never works the same way twice (meaning getting it to work
again after an OS reflash -- which is periodically mandatory), and on
and on. The truth is that they never really finished OS2008 before
giving up on it completely and concentrating on Maemo5. Mer *might* be
an option someday if it doesn't fragment and get abandoned like most
other such projects. With so many more interesting devices coming
along, I'm not holding my breath.

Mark