Re: Printing (N800)

Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Monday 23 November 2009 01:13:02 Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
>> I think we can do it in the community.
>> Prepare needed packages to install on the device (cups) and even port
>> some nice Setup UI to Maemo.
>> I can easily re-add printing support to Xournal, not a problem at all.
>
> Just to warn people to prevent potential oopses - some of the libraries were
> compiled without any printing support (for example Qt). That might make things
> a tad more difficult depending on how printing is implemented in a given app.

As handhelds get faster and bigger (virtually) this should become less
of a problem, although there is the conceptual difficulty of persuading
the designers to consider printing.

I did some more tests, both with plaintext files and PDFs, and all of
them print in microscopically small type (they print normally when done
to the same printer from a regular desktop machine). I'm not clear why
this should be. Something in CUPS, as that is the only thing in use for
this...

Printing direct from the apps would be nice, but as there is often a way
to generate PDF, just having a print-from-PDF would do.

///Peter