Re: N900 Users

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 03:40:35PM -0400, sean wrote:
> So those of you that have one, what do you think of it?
> It is always nice to hear from actual users.

It's awesome.

Not perfect yet.

> Is the software on it complete, or is it crippled like previous systems?

*shrug*

> I am curious as to such things as the address book, calendar, to-do
> list, even the native email client.

Usable.  At times a bit irritating.  Much better than in OS2008 on a
N8x0.

> Any other interesting finds with the N900?

*shrug*

> Was it worth the price, and are you using it as part of a carrier
> service, or not?

They're not for sale yet.  Nobody yet had a chance to buy one.  I got
mine as a 6-month loan at the Maemo Summit.

For me personally it'd be worth the full price.

A 3G SIM card with unlimited data enhances the experience considerably.
E.g. without it the GPS is mostly useless.  Also, being always online is a
new way of looking at things that unlocks the full potential of Internet
Tablets.  I first experienced it at CERN, which had WiFi everywhere.

BTW I do not intend to use my N900 as a phone.  The battery life is too
uncertain for that: since it's such a pleasant thing to use, I keep
using it all the time and drain the battery in 6 to 8 hours.  For voice
calls I'm quite happy with my Series 40 Nokia 6600 that only needs
charging once or twice a week.

Marius Gedminas
--
I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure.