Re: Maemo SDK

From: Alexander Schröter <accounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, I have just realized that you sent this to maemo-users. As this
is about the Maemo SDK I bet that it would be better to use
maemo-developers... Anyway:

> On Thursday 01 October 2009 01:32:12 pm you wrote:
> > From: Alexander Schröter <accounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > > Hey everybody
> > >
> > > I am very much looking forward to the release of the N900. This is why I
> > > installed the Maemo SDK on a virtual maschine.
> > >
> > > Now I am a little lost ... I cannot find the adress for the application
> > > catalouge to try out some of the tools. And I was hoping it looks a
> > > little
> >
> > AFAIK, the SDK is just that, a toolkit in order to develop new
> > applications for the Maemo5 plattform, but this doesn't mean that will
> > include all the applications that you see on the videos.
>
> Yes sure I understand but wouldn't it be nice to have a look at the current
> progress by looking at your very own N900 virtual machine to see some of the
> programs do their thing. I mean how would I know what needs development if I
> cannot see them peforming.

Current progress? Well, the current SDK is just a beta and it is not
being updated constantly, it works by releases, and the current one is
some months old, although enough to start to develop new applications.

> > > more like the N900 from the video. Can somebody shed some light on the
> > > whole situation?
> >
> > But you were able to execute the hildon-desktop on a scratchbox and
> > son on? What did you miss?
>
> Right now I have the Desktop like in this picture
> http://static.maemo.org/static/c/cfc770286fd511de9ed0c5721facb2e3b2e3_ui-
> startup.png
>
> But when I press the 6 green squares it gives me three things to choose from

This "three things" seems the default applications installed.

> and when I look at the application catalogue it says that there are no
> catalogues listed but I can add one. Thing is I can't find a repository. It
> probably is like a repository right?

You could take a look to the maemo fremantle extras repository. Anyway
this would allow you to install applications created by the community,
but I fear that this wouldn't allow to install you the "common"
applications on the N900.

Anyway, take a look to the SDK issues, as has one related to the
application manager:

http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_beta_2_sdk_installation/#sdkissue

But as I said, the purpose of the SDK is not show a pre-status of the
applications that will come on the N900. As his name show, is just a
"Software Development Kit", in order to create new apps.

===
API (apinheiro@xxxxxxxxxx)