Re: N800 etc.

Am Sonntag, den 30.08.2009, 16:52 -0600 schrieb Mark:

> It's utterly absurd to refer to Java in any form as an irrelevant and
> transient language. On the contrary, it is quite mature, and unlike
> *any* other language is as close to being cross-platform as possible.

C is a lot more plattform independant than Java. Of course this requires
recompiling and the standard C-libs arent of all too much use.
On the other hand there a lot of nice toolkits which are more cross
plattform than Java, e.g. SDL.

> There is no valid excuse for not supporting it, and Nokia sticking
> their head in the sand and ignoring it would be a very serious
> mistake.

Ok, first question. Which Java plattform are we talking about here?
JavaSE or JavaME?
Hmm, come to think of it, if we are talking about the mobile edition,
CLDC or CDC? Probably not MIDP 1.0 anymore, but even MIDP 2.0 doesnt
even have file access without the optional JSR75 and the
RecordManagementStore is a pain in the a**.
While the J2SE plattform is pretty plattform independant, J2ME often has
more conditional compile statement than old Unix-code. Top that with the
fact that many mobile applications are highly dependant on the screen
resolution and you quickly realize that plattform independance really
just is wishfull thinking with J2ME.

> As time goes on, we are headed for "cloud computing" and other
> technologies which require interoperability and exclude proprietary
> technology. Java is the future, and companies that ignore it sooner or
> later are going to find themselves ignored...

There are a lot of good application fields for Java, but they tend to be
more server-centric. Amusingly enough a lot of the modern phones dont
support Java, e.g. iPhone, Android based phones, Pre. Probably it would
make more sense to support the JavaSE edition of Java instead of the
mobile edition, devices like the N900 are easily powerfull enough to run
it.

> Mark

Syren