Re: N800 etc.

On 8/29/09, Andre Klapper <aklapper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In contrast to you, some companies out there might not have unlimited
> human and financial resources to officially support every single
> computer language (like Java) that you currently favor. It's even their
> right to make such decisions (if this means losing some customers is
> another question).
> However, some companies (like Nokia) are kind enough to give interested
> third parties the freedom to port and install virtual machines for any
> other computer languages on their platform, while others aren't.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)

Sigh... if you're not a fanboy, then any post is a rant or troll...

It's utterly absurd to refer to Java in any form as an irrelevant and
transient language. On the contrary, it is quite mature, and unlike
*any* other language is as close to being cross-platform as possible.
There is no valid excuse for not supporting it, and Nokia sticking
their head in the sand and ignoring it would be a very serious
mistake.

As time goes on, we are headed for "cloud computing" and other
technologies which require interoperability and exclude proprietary
technology. Java is the future, and companies that ignore it sooner or
later are going to find themselves ignored...

Mark