Re: N800 etc.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Demetris <demetris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

   I setting off to program j2me-cdc code for the N800 for a little bit
now. I am running
the CVM phoneme_advanced_mr2-b18 (mixed mode) for runtime up this point.
But this is
a release that came about back in early 2007 and I have not seen
anything after that
geared towards the N800. Can someone tell me if they know the following?
1. where I can find a newer version of j2me-cdc for the N800
2. documentation on the device's hardware that I have not been able to
locate
3. is maemo the only software architecture for this device?
4. has anyone been able to deploy web services on such a device (either
through osgi
containers or any other container)?

Thanks very much in advance
Demetris

I share your grief and pain. But sadly, the situation with regards to Nokia's devices Nxx devices and Java borders the ridiculous.

It could be summed up as "abandon all (Java) hope ye who enters here". Nokia won't help you or me. Nokia is not interested in Java on the Nxx devices. Nokia is "Java-hostile" for all we care.

You'll be told here by people whom know more than you and me that java is bloated, that the Nxx are underpowered to run Java apps (even Java ME which millions of phones run around the world), and that it's not worth it.

The conspiracy theorist in me would like to think that in one of those several (some very recent) instances where Nokia got in bed with the Evil Empire of Redmondia, downplaying or de-emphasizing Java must have been on the table (or bed).

Microsoft and Nokia get together on Silverlight
http://scobleizer.com/2008/03/04/microsoft-and-nokia-get-together-on-silverlight/

Microsoft and Nokia bringing "mobile office" to Symbian
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/microsoft-and-nokia-bringing-office-to-symbian-next-year.ars

Nokia to deliver Windows 7 netbook
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/08/25/nokia-to-deliver-windows-7-powered-netbook-with-12-hours-of-battery-life.aspx

I call it following the path of IBM's Lotus when it helped Microsoft get NT into thousands of corporations by supporting Notes on Windows platforms first, and IBM's own OSs later, or Palm shipping Windows Mobile devices. You can't support a company that wants to see you six feet under ground.

Imagine if Nokia had invested its time and money in advancing "Mobile OpenOffice" to Symbian and other OSs... But I digress

What I see is a company that lost its soul, and deserves to sink under. In other words, no vision, just shareholders screaming for "short term profits at all costs".

"They" call it "pragmatism" now...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/switched-on-microsoft-and-nokia-trade-posturing-for-pragmatism/

... I call it Nokia's management in the pocket of Bill Gates...
FC