Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Gary<gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> I prefer Verizon's coverage area, but they don't do GSM, :(
>
> Not yet. They're already working on a hybrid EV-DO/HSPA modem
> (http://tr.im/nX3C) and are moving fast on building out their HSPA
> buildout (http://tr.im/nX47). I've also read that some test markets will
> be in place by the end of this year (http://tr.im/nX5z). How else can
> they expect to have the iPhone next year?
>
> It's nice that the N900 has an internal SD card slot for the larger
> capacity cards but an easily accessible microSD card slot would
> probably make me and a lot of other folks happy.
>
> -Gary

Actually, that internal slot is microSD, not full SD. The larger slot
in the photos is actually the SIM card slot, which should give you a
little better sense of scale. I personally am growing very weary of
non-hot-swappable slots in devices. There really is no justification
for that PITA. It's just one of many reasons I'll never give up my
N800 for an N810. As the feature set and physical properties of the
N900 becomes clearer, it becomes less and less likely that I'll ever
get one of those, either. The upgrade from the N810 is incremental at
best, and it looks like they've actually removed a couple of
significant hardware features, just like they did going from the N800
to the N810. I realize that tradeoffs are necessary, but the problem
is that they keep making exactly the wrong choices.

Mark