Re: n810 Internal Memory Read Only?

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 16:02 -0500, William Dowden wrote:
> I have seen problems that sound similar.

	Yes, so have I. I remember Eero explained it in another thread so very
well. That saved an old RS MMC card from the recycling bin.

>    Certainly if the system thinks the card is still in use, especially
> if it freezes with the files' attributes marked as in use, you will
> not be able to access them unless you use the technique you used.

	Crude as they were, yes.

>    How large is your N810's internal memory?    My son and I were
> discussing the N800 versus the N810.    We currently have N800's with
> 8GB cards both internal and external.    Space has not been an issue.

	Internal memory; not user removable; is 2gb. File manager reports
1.87gb total size with swap of 128mb enabled on it. Mine reports 128.7mb
used with 1.75gb available. All I have on the internal card is swap and
Claws folders. All my other data files are on an 8gb external sdhc card.
If it helps your discussion, I finally pulled the trigger on a n810 some
months ago and upgraded from an n800. I can't believe I waited so long.
I use it daily, very heavily and it's a huge improvement from the n800.
YMMV

>     I suspect that CLAWS may have some temporary files taking up space
> that are usually invisible after the transaction completes normally,
> since they would be deleted and the space released.    But if the
> application froze up, then this space would not be released and you
> would be stuck with the technique you used to resolve the issue.
> Does that sound plausible?

	That is what I'm thinking/hoping. What usually happens is: I come home
from work, print out what forms I have completed, update my calendar
etc, get my latest emails, etc. Then I usually shut down some apps but I
usually have several still running along with feed circuit which updates
my rss feeds during the night. I let the n810 run on battery until
morning, when I plug it in as I get ready. I'm guessing I had a lot of
feeds update, along with Claws fetching mails every few minutes and the
battery gave out just as swap and Claws was active. I have not yet taken
the time to fsck the old files as suggested, but Claws has happily
created new folders and is working properly as far as I can tell. The
old emails are essentially of no consequence, I'm going to use that
opportunity to learn from my mistakes and try and recover them. It might
come in handy some day.

Best Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>