Re: pdf reading?

    >> The file selector dialog (not only here but in the file manager
    >> and other apps, but not FBReader) doesn't allow me to select
    >> from the external memory card (mounted as /media/mmc1), although
    >> it does from the internal memory card (mounted as /media/mmc2).

    Marius> This is weird.  I can select both memory cards in the file selector.

I have the impression I used to be able to, also, but not now.

    Marius> Have you done anything strange, like formatting the external
    Marius> card as ext2?

No.  Or at least not that particular wierd thing.  /etc/hosts has it
listed as vfat.  It does say "noauto", which seems odd, but I didn't do
it.  And it does always seem to be mounted when I check.

    >> Is there a way to fix this?  I worked around it by opening a
    >> terminal and copying the file I wanted to see from external to
    >> internal, but there has to be a better way than that.

    Marius> I think you could create a symlink, e.g.

Yes, thanks, that works.

    >> As far as I can see, the way to page down is to open the case
    >> and use the down button on the pad.

    Marius> If you're reading in full-screen mode, you can also press
    Marius> the area on the middle of the right side of the screen.
    Marius> There are translucent buttons that show up when you display
    Marius> a new page and then fade out, to give you a hint of where to
    Marius> press.  They work even when invisible.

I fiddled with this.  When they're visible, they do the "wrong thing".
That is, what you want is really (by default, and therefore you would
hope with the most easily accessible button) to read the next bit of
text that's off the screen, and these buttons move to the next page,
even when it's only the top half of this page that I'm seeing.

When they're not visible, I have trouble finding them, but it turns out
that you can reposition the page both horizontally and vertically by
moving the stylus, so that's a better way to "read" than anything I'd
found before.  Still not as good for reading in bed as what FBReader
does with the +/- rocker switch on top, but at least you can imagine
reading a (short) book that way.

    >> If I do install it, will I have the same problems I do on the
    >> included PDF reader?

    Marius> If you install Evince, I suspect you'll have an entirely new
    Marius> set of problems.

I was going to guess that, too, which is why I didn't do lots of poking
around repositories to see why they're screwed up.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad@xxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Thus, for instance, the Liberal party (to which I belong) was, in its
period of exile, always saying, "0 for a Gladstone!" and such
things. We were always asking that it might be strengthened from
above, instead of ourselves strengthening it from below, with our hope
and our anger and our youth. Every man was waiting for a leader. Every
man ought to be waiting for a chance to lead.

G. K. Chesterton