Re: pdf reading?

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 01:36:26PM -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:
> I'm finding the interface on the included pdf reader on my Nokia 810
> pretty unusable.

It is somewhat painful to use, although much better than the one that
came with the 770.

> At least one of these problems must be fixable.  So here are my
> questions:
>
>         Included reader:
>
>         The file selector dialog (not only here but in the file manager
>         and other apps, but not FBReader) doesn't allow me to select
>         from the external memory card (mounted as /media/mmc1), although
>         it does from the internal memory card (mounted as /media/mmc2).

This is weird.  I can select both memory cards in the file selector.

Have you done anything strange, like formatting the external card as
ext2?

>         Is there a way to fix this?  I worked around it by opening a
>         terminal and copying the file I wanted to see from external to
>         internal, but there has to be a better way than that.

I think you could create a symlink, e.g.

  cd ~/MyDocs
  ln -s /media/mmc1 'External Card'

>         As far as I can see, the way to page down is to open the case
>         and use the down button on the pad.

If you're reading in full-screen mode, you can also press the area on
the middle of the right side of the screen.  There are translucent buttons
that show up when you display a new page and then fade out, to give you
a hint of where to press.  They work even when invisible.

If you're reading in non-full-screen mode, there are toolbar buttons for
going to the next/previous page.

>         Is there a way to configure
>         it so that the +/- switch on top (preferable) or the buttons on
>         the side page up or down?

I don't think so.

>         I have it zoomed to a size where the text area of the page is
>         the width of the screen, that is, the margins are off the
>         reader.  But when moving down gets to a new page, the reader
>         resets the position of the page so that the left edge of the
>         page is at the left edge of the screen.  Is there a way to tell
>         it not to do that?

I don't think so.

>         If I do install it, will I have the same problems I do on the
>         included PDF reader?

If you install Evince, I suspect you'll have an entirely new set of
problems.  Last time I tried it, it became unusable after viewing about
three pages because it used up all my memory.  It was a long time ago
and maybe someone optimized it for low-memory devices, but I wouldn't
hold my breath.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Added mysterious, undocumented --scanflags and --fuzzy options.
        -- nmap 3.0 announcement