Re: N8xx ponderings

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM, kenneth marken <kemarken@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM, kenneth marken <kemarken@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> more likely that said computer would be returned for a refund. that is,
>>> if it was not bought with XP in the first place...
>>
>> Yeah, good luck with that. None of the stores I know would take back
>> that kind of a product for such a lame excuse. You might be able to
>> exchange for the same thing if there's a real defect, but getting a
>> refund on a computer because you don't like like the OS - about which
>> you knew *before* you bought it - is not going to fly. These days they
>> have a tendency to check returned products to verify their condition,
>> so I wouldn't advise anyone to try this.
>>
>> Frankly, a person would have to be a real jerk to try it.
>>
> or maybe depend on where in the world one lives...

No, if you try to return a product because you're an idiot, you're a
jerk regardless of where you live. It's losers like that that ruin
things for the rest of us who only return things for solid reasons and
often can't because the generous stores get tired of being ripped off
and end up making their policies too strict.

If there's nothing wrong with a product but it has been opened/used,
the store can't (and shouldn't be allowed to) sell it as new. That
means that if they take it back they *will* lose money on it. Only if
it's actually defective (and not deliberately vandalized by a
shortsighted arrogant jerk) can they get full credit from the
supplier/manufacturer. Sooner or later, the retailers who take back
merchandise no questions asked either change their policies or go out
of business because they can't make a profit.

Mark