Re: Nokia device usage

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM, John Holmblad
<jholmblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jean-Christian,
>
> you are, of course, correct in that Nokia has had tremendous success
> with mass market mobile phones................ but not PDA's or IT's.
>
> Nokia might do well run the following experiment (in situ if you will)
> to get a better (and sooner than 2 more generations from now) grasp of
> what the mass market really expects/demands from an IT like product..
>
>    * Select a diversified (from janitor to exec level) sample of say
>      100 NON-Technical employees of Nokia from around the world who do
>      not already own/use an IT and provide them with a N810 + a mobile
>      phone with data service but with all other apps besides voice on
>      the mobile phone itself disabled. Disabling those apps obviously
>      will force the user to "get to know" the N810.
>
>    * Provide no training, only the documentation in the product box.
>
>    * Let them use the combo for 90 days
>
>    * Run a focus group (or a few) at the end to record experiences,
>      attitudes, perspectives on their use of the n810
>
> My own theory, so far unproven is that a truly successful IT product
> should be able to take away market share from the smartphone market,
> allowing the user to replace their smartphone with a less powerful
> handset that supports voice + data (as a modem) + bluetooth + a very
> strong battery and which for the most part, stays in the user's pocket.

If Nokia had ever finished the software for the tablets, they would
*already* have taken market share from the smartphone market. It makes
a lot more sense to tether to a "dumb" phone (that is usually much
smaller and lighter and is easily and cheaply replaced by a newer one)
for Internet connectivity and have a device that is more or less open
and very software upgradeable than an expensive smartphone that will
be quickly outdated and basically not upgradeable. Sure, you may be
able to get lots of apps, but you're pretty much stuck with the form
factor and shipped OS.

I'm really beginning to wonder if the tablets are strictly a
teaching/testing exercise for Nokia's new hires to see if they can
produce something that works at all before turning them loose on
"real" products. They certainly don't seem to be at all serious about
selling them.

Mark