Re: Nokia device usage

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Aniello Del Sorbo <anidel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/3/5 Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Ognen Duzlevski wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
>>> could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.
>> Six months ago, I would have given you a long list. Now, nothing. It
>> sits about doing nothing. I grab it to take meeting notes around once a
>> month using Xournal, but even then I sometimes forget. Except for notes,
>> there isn't any other single function my MSI Wind or iPhone doesn't do
>> better. Sad but true. Between them, I have no need for it at all. I
>> could even eliminate its one useful function by taking notes on my old
>> Apple Newton and printing them directly to my Laserwriter rather than
>> going through PDF first.

> This is not the N810 fault.
> It's your fault.
> Your devices clearly overlap in functionality.
> And your needs do not require the functionalities the N810 may have
> and the other two don't (as, for example, taking notes with the stylus).
>
> If I'd go buy an airplane right now and I won't use it becuase it's
> too expensive, that is not the airplane fault.
> I hope you get the idea.

Not true. People buy the tables with reasonable expectations of the
kinds of things they should be able to do (especially considering the
price point), but they find out when they get them that there's either
no application to do what they need, or the applications that do exist
are all "works in progress" and still don't meet their needs.

Case in point: the Wayfinder app is billed as one of the selling
points, but people don't find out until after they've bought the
device that they have to pay another US$130 (for a limited-time
subscription) to get routing and that the map data is seriously
incomplete.

It amounts to false advertising.

As for the overlap in functionality, that is both obvious and
irrelevant. *Any* computing device is going to overlap in
functionality with pretty much *all* other computing devices. The
difference is in form factor and usability. Incomplete=unusable.

Mark