Re: damaged power connecter

Mark Haury wrote:
> Matt Emson wrote:
>
>> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>>
>>> Which shows  "newer" is not always "better"... anyone remembers the
>>> good old PalmPilot cradles?
>>>
>>> Not only were those rock-solid, but also it  was impossible to break
>>> any connectors by pulling hard or by tripping on wires.... it'd just
>>> unplug itself without any damage.
>>>
>> Um... showing my age here, but I almost killed myself by tripping over a
>> Palm Pilot Pro serial cable... it broke. The serial cables were designed
>> to be screwed in to the serial port. In the fight between my foot and
>> the cable, the serial connector sheared off. Luckily, the device flew
>> out of the cradle and landed on the carpet face up, else that would have
>> been toast too. The serial cradles also didn't charge the device, though
>> the Palm Pilot Pro use 2 x AAA batteries, so it wasn't hard to keep it
>> running :-) Them was the days!!

> I think you're missing the point. The *PC* end is a different story. The *Palm*
> end doesn't screw in to anything in the handheld.

Well, no. Clearly, they are not "indestructible". I've also seen the
other end come out... it was only held in by a zip-tie, at least on the
Palm Pilot Pro model.

> I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe that I still use. In fact, I'm only now (after
> more than a year of IT ownership) getting  my contacts straightened out in my
> N800 so I can stop carrying the Visor with me. (And even then I'm going to have
> issues with exporting the data elsewhere.)

I had one of those! A blue one. Nice bit of kit at the time, crippled by
the odd version of PalmOS they used. Not quite 3.0, but also not 3.3.

> The Visor cradle doesn't have
> anything that connects to the Visor in such a way that anything can break in the
> handheld. The plain cable is different, but even that will break the catches on
> the cable rather than anything on the device.

I'm trying to remember it there was any damage to the visor cradle that
I owned... I think the usual wear on the wire coating... The cradle was
sturdier than the Palm ones I had. I think it was possible to damage the
connector with downward force - if you sat on the device in the cradle
for example.

> The point is that cables are relatively cheap and *extremely* easy to replace.

A PC component and a closed consumer device is hardly an analogue.

> Even the serial port connector on your PC can be replaced a lot easier than the
> power jack in your IT. All connector cables for portable and handheld devices
> should be designed with that as a top priority.

Nokia have been using that exact connector on their phones for a long
time. My wife recently got a Nokia slider phone (5600? something like
that) and the PSU has a different part number, but otherwise looks
identical to my N800 one.

Still, with the GSM consortium announcing common Euro plugs by 2012 (or
so), we'll all be happy I guess.