Re: damaged power connecter

Matt Emson wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> Which shows  "newer" is not always "better"... anyone remembers the
>> good old PalmPilot cradles?
>>
>> Not only were those rock-solid, but also it  was impossible to break
>> any connectors by pulling hard or by tripping on wires.... it'd just
>> unplug itself without any damage.
>
> Um... showing my age here, but I almost killed myself by tripping over a
> Palm Pilot Pro serial cable... it broke. The serial cables were designed
> to be screwed in to the serial port. In the fight between my foot and
> the cable, the serial connector sheared off. Luckily, the device flew
> out of the cradle and landed on the carpet face up, else that would have
> been toast too. The serial cradles also didn't charge the device, though
> the Palm Pilot Pro use 2 x AAA batteries, so it wasn't hard to keep it
> running :-) Them was the days!!

I think you're missing the point. The *PC* end is a different story. The *Palm*
end doesn't screw in to anything in the handheld.

I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe that I still use. In fact, I'm only now (after
more than a year of IT ownership) getting  my contacts straightened out in my
N800 so I can stop carrying the Visor with me. (And even then I'm going to have
issues with exporting the data elsewhere.) The Visor cradle doesn't have
anything that connects to the Visor in such a way that anything can break in the
handheld. The plain cable is different, but even that will break the catches on
the cable rather than anything on the device.

The point is that cables are relatively cheap and *extremely* easy to replace.
Even the serial port connector on your PC can be replaced a lot easier than the
power jack in your IT. All connector cables for portable and handheld devices
should be designed with that as a top priority.

Mark