Re: damaged power connecter

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Um... showing my age here, but I almost killed myself by tripping over a
> Palm Pilot Pro serial cable... it broke. The serial cables were designed to
> be screwed in to the serial port. In the fight between my foot and the
> cable, the serial connector sheared off. Luckily, the device flew out of the
> cradle and landed on the carpet face up, else that would have been toast
> too. The serial cradles also didn't charge the device, though the Palm Pilot
> Pro use 2 x AAA batteries, so it wasn't hard to keep it running :-) Them was
> the days!!
Sorry I was thinking on the connection between the PDA and the cradle,
not the cradle and the computer.

And by the way, I was thinking about the Palm V... which DID charge it.
My point was that it's possible to design a connector that makes a
good contact, enough to charge a battery powered device, but which
doesn't actually require to be inserted deep and tight.

Better case in point: cordless phones...

FC