Re: Default PIM software

On Monday 24 November 2008 10:59:08 Michael Flaig wrote:
> Hi Quim,

> > Acronyms and definitions apart, you can expect a lot of improvement in
> > this area in Fremantle and Harmattan.
> >
> > See http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:PIM and make sure your ideas are listed
> > there.
>
> It's sad that Pimlico Suite is not developed actively, although only
> rated "bad" at the wiki I think this is the best fitting set of
> applications as PIM Suite for Internet Tablets.
> - They are designed for devices with small screens

if they are, then someone fumbled badly on the dates app.

last time i tried it (and it have not been updated since) i could move things
on the "month" view (even tho the elements are so small there that i dont know
what i was poking at) and the appointments could become to small to properly
handle "day" view (and that they could be rezised by dragging at the edges
didnt help, so i ended up accidentaly resizing or moving them around when
trying to access the detailed dialog for a entry).

and as it also had issues with timezones (basically ignoring them), i got to
say it was much worse then GPE.

> Personally I would really like to replace evolution with modest,
> contacts, dates and tasks on my desktop. In my opinon the logical way
> would be to go with pimlico.

modest, while having a improved ui, was a regression in terms of POP support.
sure i could sign up to gmail and pipe all my other mail thru that to get
IMAP. but you know what? i dont feel like telling google about all my doings
and going online.

POP have served me well so far, and i dont see why it should no do so in the
future, just because the modest devs seem to have a fetish for IMAP and
gmail...