Re: the hell of Maemo repos

2008/11/22 Niels Breet <niels@xxxxxxxxx>
We're currently working on getting the number of external repositories
down to a minimum. Our goal is to have a lot less repositories on
gronmayer as soon as possible. This will hopefully improve user
experience.

Gronmayer is a great site... after this site exists I can find anything I need very easy...

So, make up your own conclusions.

My conclusion is that before you took any action everything worked more or less. My desired package was more or less findable... Now it's just disappeared... Your fault or repo owner's fault? It depends on who's going to answer...

I don't know whether your work is voluntary or paid... but it really doesn't matter. If paid it's a sin (even your attitude to me and this thread would be a sin if you were paid for this work)... But if it isn't paid and it's just a voluntary work, though I understand that it's easier to find some innocent mistakes in a voluntary work, even in that case you should have been more responsible before accomplishing your task... When I edit a wiki I always try to be very careful and not corrupt what is up to now well done. It's true that if repos consolidation works it'll be great, but you need to do with all guarantees before trying to erase any old repo, because so many other people depends on that old backup...

So don't be so stupidly concerned about the politeness of the thread and take responsibility on your own actions...

I will keep working on improving the _community_ repository and end-user
experience.

I hope you first think better what you do to allegedly "improve" it...

I am very sad to see that people misunderstand genuine efforts
to improve things and even worse: Communicate without any consideration.

"Oh... my God... how unpolite and inconsiderate... I'm not going to invite him/her to have a cup of tea any more..."

Shouldn't you be concerned about more important questions already mentioned in the thread?

Sometimes it is good to count to 10 before you start a flame mail.

Sometimes it is good to count to 10 before you close a working repository.

maemo.org webmaster

Big title, isn't it?

Should be (maybe) big responsibility too...

Salut,
Sebas.