Re: Projects Nokia should support (yours?)

Hi!

> Agreed, we have officially supported GStreamer and the excellent mplayer
> which can be wrapped if someone wants a (different) gui. VLC certainly
> doesn't classify as a killer app bearing these in mind IMHO.

  You missed my entire point. :) mplayer is also a competitor of
GStreamer and afaik it is NOT officially supported by Nokia. MPlayer
is a great application no doubt but so is VLC (afaik much more
portable even) and therefore unfortunately faces the same fate.

> Something with more mileage, though still not really a killer app, would be
> working on optimisation of the backend libs that all three media players use
> (therefore any media player would benefit). But this will have to wait until
> we see what the hardware is capable of really.

  Which backend libs all three apps use? I think GStreamer is the
perfect backend that all multimedia applications should be using if
they are very serious about targeting Maemo. OTOH! I understand their
reasons for not going for GStreamer since this will require a huge
amount of work and also throwing off a huge amount of investment both
MPlayer and VLC have put into their own stacks.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali Khattak
FSF member#5124