Re: Repeat quetion : Diablo update to OS2008HE ? (Was: Software Choices for New Nokia 770?)

En/na Ryan Abel ha escrit:
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>
>> El Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:35:17 +0000
>> "gary liquid" <liquid@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>>
>>> Shall we expect Nokia to simply cease development work and stop
>>> everything because they have users of a current generation who can't
>>> use the newer faster better way of doing something?
>>> Should Sony have remained at the playstation1 level because they had
>>> a lot of owners?
>>
>> I can run the latest linux distribution on an almost 10 years old
>> computer, and I assure you that the distro
>> maker didn't stand still to cater for me. It's obviously slower than a
>> new computer but it's quite useable, I just turn off the most demanding
>> desktop effects and don't use it for 3d animation. Heck, I could even
>> use lxde instead of kde4 if I really cared about its slowness.
>> If I buy, say, a netbook, I'll lose the pocketability of the tablet
>> (and that's quite an important factor), but I know that 10 years from
>> now I'll probably be able to use it (if it lasts, which I doubt, since
>> most electronics nowadays are made to use and throw away in a matter of
>> months, yes, including the tablets) with the latest and greatest.
>
> This is a totally bogus analogy.

No, that's only partially bogus ;-)

I do understand the differences and I don't expect nokia to support my
device forever. I hope, now that at least the wifi is "open", that I can
just install debian, (even though it's not my distribution of choice is
the only one I know with an armel branch) or a community supported maemo
when nokia decides to completely abandon the n8x0, or maybe I will just
use it as it is while it lasts.
It's not that, say, epox is supplying me the latest linux distro anyway.
I was just pointing out that it's not necessary to "cease development
work and stop everything" to maintain compatibility with an older device.
It doesn't seems that linux stopped development, yet it can support a
great number of devices old and new and it can run on a low end router
and on a supercomputer.

Bye
--
Luca