Re: Projects Nokia should support (yours?)

See my answers in maemo-developers linked at
http://flors.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/distro-zen-question-of-the-day/
(some people dislike cross-posting)

ext Cedric Cellier wrote:
> I strongly agree with this.
> This is very annoying to see manufacturers shipping their own wobbly
> linux distro, while there is the "universal OS project" (aka. Debian)
> that has everything one need and is very well tested and supported.

Yes, you have a point. Again, agreed with the basic principle but not
that simple in the real actions.

Put yourself in our situation with Fremantle on OMAP3: where in
debian.org are the very well tested and supported packages for that?
Probably not even in Debian ARM stable. But anyway we should most likely
use unstable to support our new features, and unstable is by definition
not very well tested or supported.

> Adding your own stuff on top of a mere Debian (or alike) seams so much
> simplier than packaging your own stuff from scratch that I can't
> come with no reason to do so, technically speaking.

Above you have one. Different technology selections force you to have
more e.g. Busybox vs GNU tools. Depending on Debian release cycles might
be an additional problem.

So yes, diminishing differences with Debian is good, but it's not just
about grabbing the code and putting it under our application layer.

--
Quim Gil
marketing manager, open source