Re: Projects Nokia should support (yours?)

On Oct 23, 2008, at 2:26 PM, lakestevensdental wrote:

>  If Nokia is really serious about being a larger player, they ought to
> aggressively develop and license the Maemo tablet OS to other
> manufacturers so that it has an opportunity to become a dominant
> player
> in the this growing market niche instead of just another somewhat
> self-limiting (soon to be abandoned) proprietary sand castle.

Rather than building Maemo up as yet-another-Linux-distro, I'd
_rather_ see Nokia come inline with upstream and essentially ship
Ubuntu or Debian, but with their own differentiation on top. Hildon is
already open, somebody just needs to package it up to a sufficiently
usable state for other platforms (it's already in Debian and Ubuntu,
but simply installing it doesn't quite get you where you want to be).

Though, if speculation based on certain rumors is to be believe, this
may actually already be happening. Give it another 6 months and I'm
sure we'll know for sure.

>  As it is, with other tablets, like Archos, coming out with their own
> OS/Linux variants, it seems the market is going in the direction of
> being more and more fractured with lots of reinventing of the same OS
> wheels over and over.  The market would probably benefit having some
> central organization to manage and develop the OS so that hardware
> folks
> could focus more on developing cost effective powerful hardware rather
> than both hardware and OS/software.

Archos is a bad example. I doubt they'd ever be interested in anything
than their own proprietary, accessory peddling mess.

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council chair