Re: A bluetooth keyboard for $45 -> StowAway "Shasta" for Blackberry (would it work?)

Well the keyboard cam in today and I am writing this email with it
now. It took me about 30 minutes to get working. You must download the
binary tarball at
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#kbdd

Then extract it, edit the btkbd.conf file, make the files executable,
put the keyboard in discover mode then run btkbd. After that the
keyboard should work. I am running this on Diablo. The script requires
you to be root which is one drawback.

Response seems pretty good. The "/" key is in a wierd place though. I
can't comment on battery life yet. Let me knw if you have more
questions.

On 10/21/08, Frantisek Dufka <dufkaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>  > In the bluetooth version perhaps the same contact disconnects the
>  > RADIO which is the power-hungry element of any BT device.
>

> Maybe the $45 price is there for some reason. Maybe there is no contact :-)
>

>  >
>  > What I do know is what I read on reviews...  the unit is supposed NOT
>  > TO waste battery operating when you fold it and close it.
>

> Yet it does :-) Maybe it is not as bad as I said. Maybe it lasts more
>  than month indeed. I just know I used it very rarely and when I needed
>  it I found batteries empty more than once.
>
>  The positive bit is that you can actually open it without connecting to
>  anything, type some very long sentence, then close it, then open it
>  later, then connect it to some device and the sentence is sent to device
>  after connection. Magic :-)
>
>  For comaprsion check this one http://www.wirelessground.com/stblke.html
>  "Estimated Battery Life  Estimates are based on using a keyboard for 4
>  hours per day.  200+ days" That's what I call good battery life. Shasta
>  is 'up to 3 months' just like you notebook battery is 'up to 6 hours' :-)
>
>  Still it is not an issue if you keep piece of paper under battery door
>  and don't mind pairing on the beginning. And the keys are quite good and
>  big with full five rows.
>

>  >
>  > You still haven't told us if the behaviour you experienced was with
>  > the keyboard fully closed or if you left it standing in open position.
>

> Would you leave foldable keyboard opened and unused collecting dust for
>  several weeks?
>

>  Frantisek

Thanks,
Aaron Newcomb