Re: disk space running short on /

This is actually a problem on every linux handheld I have ever used.  It is a problem on my GP2X.  It was a problem on my old Asus PDA.  It is a problem on my N770.  It will be a problem on my Pandora when I get one.  I wish someone had a great solution, but so far, nothing.  There is, afaik, no safe consistent way to install software across multiple pieces of removable media in a way that is centrally manageable.  That goes for any OS, on any platform.  I can't even find a hypothetical description of such a system, should I want to try to implement it.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM, kenneth marken <kemarken@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 20 October 2008 21:17:44 Ryan Abel wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Denis Dimick wrote:
> > Say someone does boot from SD, what happens when they remove the SD
> > card to copy data over to it; I've run into a bug that causes scp to
> > die/hang when copying large (AVI) files over wireless.
>
> If you're booted from it, then bad things, but if the tablet is
> powered off, and you're using a machine that can recognize ext2/3,
> then you just copy as usual.
>
> Both tablets have two mass storage devices (the N810's just happens to
> be soldered on), so use one SD as a permanent boot device, and the
> other for mass storage.

well, if we could get nokia to support it natively (watching the dance some
had to do to get it all running again at the latest ssu) it would be a bit
more interesting. but so far your best of waiting each time a ssu update
shows up in app manager, until whoever do those alternate boot systems can
get back up to speed.

still, there is always that idea/plan for a community "distro"...

the problem really is that neither the debian package system nor nokia
supports any official system for offloading onto some other storage.

until that time comes, there will be house of card like hacks lining up around
the block...