Another annoyance: bluetooth icon disappears

What is the reason for the Bluetooth icon to disappear when bluetooth
is disabled? Is there any tweak/hack to make it REMAIN THERE? I want
one-click access to turn Bluetooth on and off.

It should stay "dimmed" or grayed, when bluetooth is not in use and
bright when Bluetooth is enabled.

Otherwise I have to go Start-> Settings->Control Panel->Bluetooth->Bluetooth ON

A real usability PITA

FC
PS: Sorry to discover all this now but I used the N800 as a wifi only
device. I've only had a Bluetooth enabled phone for a month or two so
this world of Bluetooth is new to me.  :o)