Re: Maemo rootsh is misnamed?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM, John Holmblad
<jholmblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> it would appear that the maemo app rootsh is confusingly  misnamed the
> same as the standard rootsh command. [...]

Can you point me to a web page about the "standard" rootsh command?
I've never encountered it on a UNIX-like system before, and isn't on
my current Ubuntu box.

> My understanding of the standard rootsh command is that,
> in order to get a root shell with rootsh, the user must invoke rootsh
> using sudo.

So the behaviour of the rootsh you know is really no different to just 'sh'?

> Is it possible that the implementation of maemo rootsh incorporates a
> sudo command?

I believe it does, for that is it's point :-)

It's basically a clone of becomeroot and easyroot, repackaged and put
into Extras, given that instructing users to go to other random repos,
to enable Red Pill mode or to install arbitrary debs is sup-optimal.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxx | http://www.bleb.org/