Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "ext Frederic Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>> But what I could do is to analyse the problem myself. It would take
>>> only an hour or two, including writing a small report about the
>>> problem which I can send everyone interested (hopefully this includes
>>> the vendor). So if you would be able to convince the vendor to send
>>> the AP for a loan? If that's not possible, are you coming to Maemo
>>> Summit? If I manage to come and you can take the AP with you, I could
>>> take a look at it onsite.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it won't be possible because Freebox (the name of
>> set-top-box = ADSL modem + wifi mimo router + many other nice things)
>> can only work when they are synchronized over ADSL with Free ISP
>> DSLAM. So, even if we could send you a Freebox, you couldn't do
>> anything with it :(
>
> This is getting difficult. So if your ADSL line is dead for a day your
> WLAN AP will not work, did I understand this right? If yes, that sucks
> big time.

Only if there is also a power loss and AP need to reboot (it needs
ADSL line working to download its
firmware over DSL at each boot). And frankly, it is not really an
issue (no downtime for several years
for myself ;).

>> Anyway, I've pinged Freebox engineer in hope they might have a clue on
>> the issue.
>
> That's your only chance, unfortunately. I would assume now that WLAN
> is getting more popular in mobile phones they would get more pressure
> to fix this. Let's hope for the best.

Well, when I discussed with them, they told me they already fixed PSM
for usage with Wifi phones
they are selling. So, PSM is working, but not (yet) with Nokia
internet tablet ;)

--
Frederic Crozat