Re: Good stock answers (was Re: N810 Now Resets Very Frequently)

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 20:43:03 Kalle Valo wrote:
> Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Yeah, that would be a good addition. One minor point before any copies
>
> it:
> > FREQUENCY OF OCCURRENCE:
> > (always, less than 1/10, 5/10, 9/10)
>
> Remove the word "always" from the template. The reason being that
> usually the reporter is able to reproduce the bug two times and
> concludes that it happens always. But in reality that might well not
> be the case, and marking it as 2/2 would be a lot more informative for
> the developer.

That would just be silly!  "Always" has to be in the template.  If the
reporter said 9/10 that would imply, to me, that they have seen it work at
least once and, hence, that the bug as reported is intermittent.  That would
be much more likely to lead me astray than having someone say "always" when
it isn't, in fact, always.

Also, for very many bugs, it is clear that the reported behaviour is the way
it always works (for example, a bug complaining about a missing field in a
form).  "Always" is a useful and important suggestion for that field!

Maybe for your components intermittent bugs are particularly common but for
many other components most bugs are perfectly reproducible.

Graham