Re: N810 Now Resets Very Frequently

ext Karsten Bräckelmann <karstenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 19:25 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:

>> > This is not helpful and in fact is inflammatory.
>>
>> I have no clue what inflammatory means (and I'm too lazy to find out),
>> but the link Igor provided was helpful. I recommend you to calm down
>> and just read it. Or better yet, read it twice.
>>
>> I'll definitely start using this link in bad bug reports. Igor, this
>> is just what I have needed, grazie!
>
> Please don't.
>
> Or at least, don't do it without any other comment.

Don't worry, I will definitely comment more than just a link. I'll let
the reporter know what are the specific problems with the report, and
only after that I will recommend reading the essay. I have been
planning for many years write something about how to make good bug
reports, but never had the time.

Usually the biggest problem with bug reports I receive is that they
are not precise enough. I think the author of the essay summed up it
quite nicely:

    * Be specific.
    * Be verbose.
    * Be careful of pronouns.
    * Read what you wrote.

<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

> Remember you may be dealing with a real, non-tech-savvy user. He
> might not know how to better describe the issue, he may be
> confronted with a problem he doesn't have any idea how to
> investigate, why it started happening, or even what's going on at
> all.
>
> If you need more information, tell the user. Try to explain what info
> you'll need, what he should be looking for, and what might be related
> however unlikely it may seem for a user.
>
> If the report lacks the most important (or any, FWIW) information, also
> please tell him. Be polite and treat him as an adult.

That's a very good summary how a bug owner should behave. Maybe you
should write an essay about that? :)

> The point is not about the link. My point is about throwing a bare URI
> at the user, with absolutely no conversation or responding to the user.
> This will be perceived as rude.
>
> If you're polite, talk to the user and help him understand, you're more
> likely to get the user to respond, add the missing bits, and end up with
> a happy user (read: customer).

Thanks for the good hints. I'll print it next to my workstation so
whenever I receive a bad bug report, I'll read it, take a deep breath
and answer politely.

--
Kalle Valo