N800 won't finish boot sequence

Dear Folks,
 I've set and tested two N800 tablets yesterday - worked perfectly. Today
they won't finish the power sequence. Is there a way to display detailed
info instead of the blue bar? It would be good to see where they fail.

 Both tablets run the last pre-diablo system. the added packages are
openssh, openvpn, rsync, bluez-utils-test (can't find rfcomm for diablo),
camera.
 The menu was modified to show only Xterm in "Myfavorites", stuff from
there was moved to a new folder "junk", nothing was deleted

 I really would like to find out where the failure is before reflashing
the darn things, since they might very well brick themselves up again

 Thank you, julius