Re: Wiki page of the Day: Video encoding

Hi,

Chris Lord wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 12:05 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>> The WPotD for today is "Video encoding"
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding - an article which, it seems to me,
>> is in dire need of reduction. From my own experience, the page should be
>> an instruction manual on installing tablet-encode and its dependencies,
>> and that's it.
>
> Have to vehemently disagree with this, I've referred to this page for
> the manual conversion instructions plenty of times, as it tells me how
> to use tools that I already have on my system and are useful for
> non-tablet cases too...

I'm not opposed to keeping advanced useful information around.

In this case, though, it's not educational data. It's a set of magic
incantations for mencoder. I'd much prefer to be able to refer someone
to usable, well written mencoder documentation, or explain what the
various arguments mean and what they're for. I'd prefer even more for
mencoder to take the path of tablet-encode and provide a set of
intelligent presets so that I don't even have to learn.

> Maybe it should be split into simple/advanced sections perhaps, but a
> lot of that information is useful.

OK for a split. Care to help streamline things, and label the "behind
the scenes" stuff as advanced/extra material?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
maemo.org docsmaster