Re: how to put apps in 'My Selection' tab

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 15:15, Jesper Cheetah <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:01:00PM -0400, Ryan Abel wrote:
>> NO! Do not do this. osso-version-rx*4 depends on skype-installer, so
>> removing it will also remove that, and, tada, no more SSU updates. :)
>
> I removed that (and gizmo-installer, and a lot of other crud) as one of
> the first things when I upgraded to diablo. I don't remember whether
> osso-version-rx*4 got thrown out with the trash, but I do certainly
> still get the automatic "Updates available" icon regularly.
>
> Maybe I'm just too naiive, in expecting the dependencies to actually
> make sense?

maemo is based on debian, as is ubuntu, so some of the concepts are
the same. osso-version-rx44 etc are metapackages. All they do is
depend on other packages, so ensure those packages are installed. In
ubuntu, there are packages like ubuntu-desktop which do the same.

If you remove this package, you will still get updates to all your
installed packages. However, if Nokia decide to add packages to the
base install during an SSU then you won't get the new packages
installed when you upgrade. This is an issue that has been a problem
with ubuntu upgrades in the past when people removed ubuntu-desktop
and then got a broken system when they upgraded.

Hope that helps,
Morgan