Re: syncevolution

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 18:54 -0400, Phillip N. wrote:
[...]
> > ~$ syncevolution groupwise
> > 19:48:51 GMT -0800 [ERROR] - memo: type 'text/plain' not supported by any of
> > the available backends (syncebook.so.0). The following backend(s) were not
> > found: syncecal.so.0 syncsqlite.so.0 addressbook.so.0
[...]
> I wonder if you could solve the problem
> Im having the same one.

Sorry to hear that. It is a configuration problem: please enable only
the sync source that you actually want to synchronize. See the attached
email for a more detailed explanation.

That email is wrong in one regard: 0.8 alpha 1 still enables all sync
sources, even for database which do not exit. Will be fixed in alpha 2
or beta 1, whatever comes first.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
--
On So, 2008-06-08 at 15:53 +0200, Uwe Kaminski wrote:
> syncevolution never worked when i tried to use it. Actually I installed
> it again and started it:
>
> ----
> ~ $ syncevolution
> address books:
> <<system>> (file:///home/user/.osso-abook/db)
>
> calendars:
> Personal (file:///home/user/.evolution/calendar/local/system)
>
> memos:
> 15:25:16 GMT +0200 [ERROR] - list: unable to access calendars: failure

It finds your address book and your calendar, but you don't have any
notes. SyncEvolution would support it, but the Evolution Data Server
backend on Maemo doesn't. Besides, there is no GUI either.

The error above during listing databases can be ignored, but
synchronizing memos has to be disabled in the configuration. If you use
0.7, then follow the normal setup instructions [1] plus the Maemo
specific remarks [2].

> Where is a good step by step description? I don't found one...

I have to admit that the setup procedure is unnecessarily complex and on
top of that, the Maemo specific remarks are probably too easy to
overlook. 0.8 will considerably simplify the setup procedure. If you
want to, please try that version instead; see [3].

As a stop-gap measure I have extended the "Getting Started" page with a
pointer to the additional information.

Maintaining n different step-by-step descriptions for each platform
would lead to code, ehm, text duplication (the horror of every
programmer), so instead I'm working on making on step-by-step guide work
on all platforms ;-}

[1] http://www.estamos.de/projects/SyncML/GettingStarted.html
[2] http://www.estamos.de/projects/SyncML/Compatibility.html#Supported+Platforms
[3] http://www.estamos.de/blog/2008/04/20/syncevolution-08-alpha-1/