Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>  Do you really think it is OBVIOUS that it is
>>> always cheaper to make your own and never to buy from another
>>> company's product?
>>>

>> Because it *is* obvious. The fundamental assumption is that the given
>> company has the size and resources to manufacture chips. Give that
>> capability, yes, it is *always* cheaper for them to manufacture their
>> own.
>>

> Wow; this demonstrates ignorance of a depth I had not believed existed
> in the universe.  I'm impressed.

Right back at 'cha!

> Let's go through the reasons why it's terribly expensive to manufacture
> custom-designed chips in relatively small quantities:

Are the chips you are currently using in the tablets "custom-designed
chips in relatively small quantities"? No! As I said before, if you
design the chips properly, they could be used not only in your own
cell phones, but also be sold to other manufacturers for their phones,
PDAs, UMPCs, etc. We're not talking about a niche market here.

You really need to read the other person's statements before going off
half-cocked.

Mark