Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

Read this

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39432956,00.htm

Samer

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Jean-Christian de Rivaz <jc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet a écrit :
> Mark wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>  Do you really think it is OBVIOUS that it is
>>> always cheaper to make your own and never to buy from another
>>> company's product?
>>>
>> Because it *is* obvious. The fundamental assumption is that the given
>> company has the size and resources to manufacture chips. Give that
>> capability, yes, it is *always* cheaper for them to manufacture their
>> own.
>>

> Wow; this demonstrates ignorance of a depth I had not believed existed
> in the universe.  I'm impressed.
>
> Let's go through the reasons why it's terribly expensive to manufacture
> custom-designed chips in relatively small quantities:

What you say is absolutely right. But it seem that Nokia is actually the
number one on this planet regarding the mobile phone market, so there
are probably not talking about small quantity...

In a more macroscopic view, I can't understand why Nokia buy a software
company like Trolltech to get a technology and still rely on externals
chip manufacturers for there very really central technology of almost
all there business.

If Nokia manage to get enough control of a chip maker, like there did
for Symbian for example, there can open enough the needed interfaces to
let there OSS strategy grow.

My personally think that maybe the solution is a chip that have two
parts. One part is a on the edge proprietary wireless processing (BT,
3G, WiFi, etc..). The other part is a OSS well supported general
processing. The parts must communicate via a well documented interface
of course. The split between the two parts can be different, I just give
a big picture. The main point is that the proprietary part must not
depend on any Open Source software, and this last one must see only well
documented interfaces to do all the programmers reasonably wants to do.

Best Regards,
--
Jean-Christian de Rivaz

http://geek2live.blogspot.com/
You pick the level of your suffering yourself - Budha-
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."-Abraham Lincoln
-Live Free or Die-Kernel The Canine-
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame someone else.-- John Burroughs
- Without music, life would be a mistake.- Nietzsche
- He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is more than a king.-- John Milton
- The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless,unremembered acts of kindness and love.-- William Wordsworth (1770-1850) English poet --
- The higher type of man clings to virtue, the lower type of man clings to material comfort. The higher type of man cherishes justice, the lower type of man cherishes the hope of favors to be received.-- Confucius (551-479 BC) Chinese Philosopher