Re: Missing space on MMC2

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:18:09AM -0400, Torsten Hoefler wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:24:07PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> > My N810 completely trashes the contents of the internal 2gb "memory
>> > card" every couple of weeks or so.  I don't trust it *at all* any more.
>> did you try to reformat?
>
> That's what I do: reformat the card with the File Manager on the N810,
> create a new swap file, then don't touch the card.  Later I will notice
> that after a reboot my card is showing complete garbage:
> http://mg.pov.lt/n810-fs-corruption.png
>
> This has happened three or four times since I got my N810.
>
> Initially I also had the problem with the FAT partition being a bit
> larger than the device, but reformatting it with the file manager also
> recreates the partition table, and it does that correctly.
>
> Then I used the internal card to keep my valuable data.  Once I started
> getting filesystem errors, rebooted and discovered that the partition
> table was overwritten by the contents of a text file.  Since then I no
> longer keep valuable data on the card.

I've been running two 8Gb full-size SD cards in my N800 since January
and have never had a problem. I do all kinds of file swapping, copying
and moving, both within the device itself and between it and my
desktop. I've never reformatted them since I got them. I wonder if
you're better off formatting them with a desktop in a separate reader,
rather than in the device itself? I've been seeing lots of complaints
from people who've reformatted their cards, but I haven't seen much of
that from people who don't do a lot of formats.

I know that the old floppy diskettes always worked better if you left
the factory format on them, and tended to have more problems
(especially if you tried to use them in a different machine) if you
formatted them. I realize that a lot of that was due to physical
issues rather than strictly electronic ones, but maybe there's
something else going on with the common VFAT implementation that is
causing conflicts with the internal logic of the cards.

By the way, I've only ever had one memory card fail in any device (a
CompactFlash), and now that I think about it I believe it was the only
one that I've ever actually reformatted. When I want to empty a card,
I delete the files rather than doing a format. If you think about it,
that's a lot less stressful for the card, since a delete only changes
a few bytes per file, whereas a format does a lot more writing, even
if it's a "quick" format. I don't even want to think about what may
happen if you try to use one of the file wiping utilities on a flash
card.

Mark