From: maemo-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:maemo-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mike Lococo
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 14:46
To: Kevin T. Neely
Cc: Dr. Nicholas Shaw; maemo-users@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cell Phone As Modem

> Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:09:07PM +0300, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> Dr. Nicholas Shaw wrote: service would keep telling me that I could
>> not use Bluetooth because I had not purchased the "tethering
>> package".
>
> The what?  I'm sorry, that's just funny.  I don't think I've ever
> heard of anything like that.  You either have a data plan or you
> don't.  Either way, if your phone is capable, you should be able to
> tether to it.

It would be funny if it weren't true.  Several providers hamstring their
handsets to prevent tethering unless you sign up for it as an added
feature.  Verizon has bee doing this for years, I don't have experience
with AT&T but it wouldn't surprise me.  Verizon calls it Broadband
Access, it's an extra $15/month.

If you do successfully workaround the block and tether your phone
without the feature, you're in violation of your TOS.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo