Re: Cell Phone As Modem

Dr. Nicholas Shaw wrote:
> When wireless connectivity isn't available, I've connected my N800 to the
> Internet through my Motorola Razr v3 through Bluetooth.  It was slow (Edge)
> but it worked.  But the Razr had to be replaced.  I decided not to replace
> it with another Razr because I wanted a real keyboard AND I wanted the much
> faster 3G data transfer capability (it still has Edge if 3G isn't
> available).
>
> Based upon user reviews, I narrowed my search to two phones - the Motorola
> Moto Q and the Samsung Black Jack II.  Both are smartphones and each has the
> above requirements plus they're both quad-band for world travel (another
> requirement).  In the end, I bought the Black Jack II because it's smaller.
> When I got the phone, I paired it through Bluetooth to the Black Jack II.
> What I didn't do, however, was actually attempt to connect to the Internet
> (you know what they say about assumptions...). On a recent trip I discovered
> that I'm unable to connect my N800 to the Internet through the Black Jack II
> and according to AT&T, the Black Jack II doesn't have that ability using
> Bluetooth.
>
> This past Friday, I again contacted AT&T and they're willing to switch out
> the Black Jack II for the Moto Q since I'm within the 30-day grace period.
> So I have two questions that I'm hoping someone can answer:
>
> 1.  Just to verify, has anyone used Bluetooth to connect a N770/800/810
> device to the Internet through a Black Jack II? If so, maybe we can
> communicate the differences in our setups offline.
>
> 2.  Has anyone used Bluetooth to connect a N770/800/810 device to the
> Internet through the Motorola Moto Q?  I don't want to get the Moto Q if it
> won't work although I'm guessing it will if the Motorola Razr did.
>
> In advance - THANKS!
>
> Nick.

Hi Nick,
I've had problems connecting my 770 to a phone from AT&T. The customer
service would keep telling me that I could not use Bluetooth because I
had not purchased the "tethering package". I was at the end of my
contract and so, I switched to T-Mobile. It not only connects vis
Bluetooth to do GPRS, I am also able to use Bluetooth to dial out to a
56K modem pool. Its slow, but works in a pinch.

Now, this may not apply to you, because you seem to have purchased the
Edge package, but for me, it was one more reason to not go with AT&T.

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.