Re: Maemo IU locking up

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:26:56PM -0400, Torsten Hoefler wrote:
> I am running the newest OS2008 on a N810. And I have problems with the
> OS (I guess). The IU locks up from time to time with 100% CPU load (the
> CPU load applet shows full system load) and pretty much stops
> responding. I can not open any windows anymore (it just draws the white
> background after a delay of >30 seconds but no widgets).
>
> This happens from time to time (after several hours) also when I don't
> use the device (also in offline mode), i.e., it's just sitting around
> doing nothing. Something seems to use the CPU extensively because the
> battery is drained quickly (2-3hrs) after it starts.
>
> I tried to debug via ssh, and see a constant system load >2 but no
> process besides "maemo-launcher" consuming about 20% (why does this
> process run all the time? What does it do?). I also see Xomap from time
> to time (what does this do?). It looks like top (running as root) is not
> showing all the processes? Is this possible?

I've noticed that the kernel itself sometimes uses a lot of CPU to
perform JFFS2 garbage collection, a while after you write/delete a lot
of files.  If I'm not mistaken, and that's the case, it could explain
why the CPU is 100% busy, but top doesn't see any process keeping it
that busy.

Check kernel messages with dmesg, perhaps there will be some clues
there?

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Perl is hard for most people to write. They write PERL or Pearl.
        -- Abigail