Re: OpenOffice (was Bluetooth keyboard?)

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> All I need now is a script to do wget and mail ...
> something like Babelfish would be good - "translate this URL"
> except to PDF not German. I don't actually need the Office files on the
> tablet at all. I could use my desktop machine if I figured out OpenOffice
> server mode ...

I found
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/batch-command-line-file-conversion-with.html
and wrote said Babelfish-style converter.

If anyone wants to try it, see http://home.daviel.org/cgi-bin/ms2pdf

No guarantees it will stay up, and the bandwidth's not great (this is not
a production server). I called it "MS to PDF" but it will also do
ODT, SXW etc. to PDF or HTML.

I have OpenOffice 2.4 running in headless server mode and pass it
documents retrieved with wget. Currently it caches converted documents
indefinitely so I'm not bothered if someone hits "reload" a few times.

Point taken about wanting to work on documents offline, but what I wanted
was to check out the slides at a conference to see what stream I wanted
to attend, or follow links in the presentation in real time.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada