Re: Planning the future

Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>
>> To all of those who have complained about the tablets in this thread and
>> elsewhere, I direct you to a recent post on the maemo developers list:
>> http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2008-May/017624.html
>>

> There is only one reason why I posted that email in the developers list
> and not here: focus on the things we can change easier.
>
> Look at this list:
>
> 1. maemo.org features
> 2. developer relevant stuff
> 3. open source platform components
> 4. Nokia closed source platform components
> 5. Nokia developed applications
> 6. 3rd party apps officially supported
> 7. Drivers depending on 3rd party hardware
> 8. Hardware choices and design
>
> It's quite improvised so don't look at it like carved on stone.
>
> 1 is where the community has more chances to decide on things. In fact,
> specially after funding time from community people like Niels (web
> apps), Dave (web content) and Andre/Karsten (to be announced soon as
> bugmasters) the initiative and possibility of improving relies more and
> more on your side. maemo.org is for you and if you are happy with
> feature X or change Y Nokia is probably happy too. The website is for
> the community and the community knows what they need and want.
>
> 8 is where the community has little to no chances for any direct change.
> Not even the average Nokia software developer and ******* manager like
> myself has much to say. It's just a different game. Of course
> suggestions and complaints are appreciated and followed but, really, the
> average commenter has little knowledge on the process and the factors
> that involve hardware design and manufacturing. Besides, changes happen
> in very different time frames and all the information is really
> sensitive in multiple ways. It's good to keep providing feedback and we
> are happing organizing the right placeholder in maemo.org to be followed
> by the right people at Nokia (they do listen customers, and a lot). But
> don't expect them to come here and discuss.
>
> 2-7 are the intermediate levels of possibility to discuss openly and
> make common decision in real time. The third party stuff depends mostly
> on, well, the third parties. They are also interested on feedback but
> each case differs. They use to have their own feedback channels so it is
> also up to you to use which one or both.
>
> Many (most?) debates in maemo-users and Internet Tablet Talk go around
> 5-8, while in maemo-developers the hottest potatoes tend to fit in 1-4.
> Understand this list and why it is like this, and your input and chances
> to get your feedback implemented in future official releases will increase.
>
> Please give a go to this list, suggest what is missing and criticize
> what you don't like. Once it's stable we can put it somewhere visible so
> people willing to provide feedback in maemo.org, ITT and elsewhere are
> [...]
Quim,

I wanted to thank you for all of your hard work. I'm sorry if I was out
of line in posting that message to the users list. I just wanted to
focus the complaints in a more positive direction.
I would also like to apologize to Mark for quoting him when he wasn't
one of the complainers.

Sincerely,
Jason