Re: Decent PIM for the N8x0

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM, lakestevensdental
<lakestevensdental@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>  >>>  So big deal, OpenOffice isn't currently available on the tablets, which
>  >>>
>  >>  > means OO docs can't be edited on the tablet.
>  >>
>  >>  We don't need OO on the tablet, though applications that can handle ODF
>  >>  would be nice. For example light weigh apps, such as Numeric and Abiword
>  >>  already exist. Unfortunately they don't support ODF.
>  >>
>  >>
>  > Speak for yourself. I *do* need OOo on the tablet. You're forgetting
>  > that it not only does ODF, it also does the Micro$oft formats just as
>  > well, not to mention rtf, txt, and a multitude of other formats. If
>  > somebody else comes out with an application that works as well with
>  > all those formats as OOo, great! That currently is not even close to
>  > being the case, though.
>  >
>  Well, you'll just have to wait for some sort of OO tablet port.  From
>  what I can tell, you may be holding your breath a long time for that to
>  happen, at least on the tablets.  Or you can compromise with reality and
>  use OO on Google docs via your tablet, which does basically all you want
>  (docs, spreadsheets, presentations, etc) online NOW with that dreaded
>  free gmail account you don't want to have.

1. "Reality" is that I never have Internet access when I want to use
the tablet to edit documents. If there's Internet access, then there's
usually a more robust computer that I could use in the first place.
What part of "I need to edit documents *anytime*, *anywhere* do you
not understand?

2. You're not too observant, since you've overlooked the fact that I
am in fact using Gmail. However, I don't store any contact information
in it other than email addresses.

>  If you're so paranoid you
>  just can't leave stuff online,

It's not paranoia, it's necessity. I need the data (especially contact
information) available wherever I am, frequently when Internet access
is not available. Again, what part of that do you not understand?

But now that you mention it, the *only* way to be certain of the level
of security is not to leave data in anyone else's hands. As with
flooding in New Orleans, it's not a matter of *if* it's going to
happen, it's only when. Even if it's not large-scale, it only takes
one disgruntled or unethical employee to expose other people's data.

Or haven't you been paying attention to the news?

> then port your work offline when you're
>  done and create pdf versions for your use on the OOless tablet

For *editing* PDFs on the tablet?!?!

>  There
>  are others, such as logging on to your desktop remotely and running OO
>  remotely on your desktop over the internet that can be done for free.
>  You just have to schedule your work when you've got internet access.

You really are a broken record. When the criteria is that Internet
access is not available, why do you keep suggesting it as though it
were an option?

>   Basically, if you paint yourself into a corner with your somewhat
>  isolated paranoid demands, don't be surprised if the marketplace leaves
>  you wanting.

It's not the marketplace that's leaving me wanting. It's my apparently
naive and misguided desire to support Linux in general and FOSS in
particular. If I hadn't held out for a Linux-based product, I could
have had a device with Pocket Word etc. and a real, robust PIM years
ago. Every single capability for which I'm asking has existed in *far*
less powerful devices - out of the box - for years. Silly me...

And yeah, I'm *really* wishing I had gone for the eee PC instead. At
least I could have loaded a real Linux distribution - or even WinXP if
that's what it took to get the applications I need. Unfortunately, I'm
now completely financially strapped and there's no possibility of
obtaining an eee PC, even if I could sell the Nokia for what I paid
for it. So I'm screwed, and nobody cares. Gee, that's a lot like
Micro$oft's attitude, isn't it?

So, what are the advantages of Linux and/or FOSS, exactly????????

Mark