Re: gpe contacts import

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Jonathan Markevich
<jmarkevich+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's unfair too.  You have to listen to the strong voice, just not take it
> personally.  Look at just what is the goal here.  Fixing bugs, right?  So
> snarking off on users that find the current process for initiating that
> difficult is counterproductive, if not damaging.  Maybe some users are not
> computer savvy.  Bugzilla is clearly for professional-grade testers/QA not
> for the general public.
>
> "Create a test case?"  Yikes.

TANSTAAFL
Expecting someone to put the bit of effort into detailing their
problems is the smallest price to pay to have them fixed.

Bug tracking software allows the developers to be a lot more efficient
at staying on top of diagnosing issues than juggling a bunch of
unstructured, vague, ranty emails. The fact that you have to do some
email validation/registration process (similar to signing up for a
mailing list) and you can't just reply back to the bug tracker via
email is an unfortunate consequence of our spam-infested Internet.

I found it deeply ironic that the OP complained about developers not
valuing his time while completely disregarding the value of the
developer's time by transferring the entire burden of
mind-reading/diagnosing/fixing onto the developer while the OP got to
vent his spleen in a cathartic insulting email. That is not an
entirely equitable trade.

As some guidance from someone who doesn't think registering to a
bugzilla as an insurmountable burden (and to try to steer this thread
on a productive course), some of the things that, in my opinion, would
be important to see in this "bug report" (and why they are important)
would be :
- What software was used to produce the multi-contact vcards?
(possible buggy production of vcard file in which case you can only
expect GPE to not die on garbage input)
- What OS was the vcard file produced on? (possible issues with
parsing different end-of-line characters among other things)
- A test case, aka simplified sample, of the vcard file that is
causing the issue. (would be able to quickly determine if it was bad
input, bad parsing, special character encoding, etc.)
- When the issue started or has it been there from day-one? (to
determine if it was a regression in recent changes to quickly
pin-point the source of the bad code)
- What hardware/OS is GPE being used on? (to see if the developer has
the right platform to test the fix or has to rely on the user to test
it)

Hopefully the OP can fill in these gaps because no one else can.

/Mike