Re: Battery life VERY short on N810, last OS2008...

Hi,

ext Matt Emson wrote:
> Eero Tamminen wrote:
>>> It is. Sitting on poll().
>>>

>> In that case crawler is not the issue.
>>

> Humour me. Kill the crawler, stop it form respawning (rename the file),
> fully charge your tablet, leave it over night. If it is dead as per
> usual, yes it is another issue. What is there to lose, really?
>
> Eero, I realise you know more than I do, but just because the crawler is
> currently idle, does not mean it stays idle all the time.

If it doesn't, the cause for that would need to be found out.

As we haven't run to the problem you have, unfortunately you need
to help us to find the cause for it (i.e. way to reproduce it)
if you want it fixed.

If you have some time to test this, maybe you could strace crawler
overnight to see whether anything triggers it to go non-idle?
Before & after that you should check from "top" that it's not using CPU.

> If you can
> explain how else killing the crawler might solve my battery issues, I
> would love to know.  It's a PITA to not have it working, but it just
> solves all battery issues by removing it. Going from no power in the
> morning from a full charge, to lasting for a week.. come on, it's not
> just co-incidence.

There could be other changes / reasons for it, maybe you did
some other change during the same day?  Or maybe you inserted a memory
card which triggered something in crawler (like the one MMC mentioned
in Bugzilla which had "millions" of folders on it that had been created
by accident)?

	- Eero