Bluetooth keyboard?

 Mark> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Mike Klein <mklein at vxappliance.com> wrote:
 >> Key travel sucks on them. Not a good typing experience. Hard to home
 >> your fingers on keys.
 >>
 >> They do look great though!
 >>
 >> If you're not a real typer you will be happy.
 >>
 >> mike

 Mark> I am definitely a touch typist, but I'm adaptable. I can use my Psion
 Mark> Series 5 to good effect, as well as a tiny folding IR keyboard for my
 Mark> Handspring Visor. (Too bad the Nokias don't have IR... of course I'd
 Mark> still be lacking a driver.) They both have sculpted keys, though, so
 Mark> it's easy to home your fingers. I'm not expecting a desktop (or even
 Mark> full-sized laptop) keyboard experience. Apple does tend to place form
 Mark> before function, image over substance, and hype above reality, so
 Mark> don't get me started...

 Mark> But I digress. What I really need to know if it's *compatible*, as in
 Mark> plug-and-play. If it won't work with the N800 or kubuntu out of the
 Mark> box, I'm not interested.

yes, it is. it works with the N800 out of the box. No special
configuration is needed.

 Mark> But if I could find something the size of my IR keyboard for a
 Mark> reasonable price that's compatible, I'd jump at it. $80 for the Apple
 Mark> keyboard is way at the top end of what I'm willing to pay, and then

Mine came with a mac pro. I would never use it for day to day typing
(for the reasons Mike mentioned) but it is great for the N800.

--dmg

 Mark> only if it will work with my laptop and desktop as well. $130-$150 for
 Mark> something that cost the manufacturer $10 at most to make is not my
 Mark> idea of reasonable (the "Stowaway" model under various brands.) The
 Mark> even smaller thumb keyboards (akin to the built-in N810 keyboard) are
 Mark> not an option, either, as that would defeat the purpose.

 Mark> There's a cool little device that projects an image of a keyboard on
 Mark> any surface, but it's too expensive and won't work on a lap or leg. I
 Mark> forget who makes it and what it's called, but aside from the coolness
 Mark> factor and tiniest possible size for toting around, it also lacks any
 Mark> feedback feel and requires a reasonably flat and relatively large area
 Mark> to work.

 Mark> Mark

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/