Bluetooth keyboard?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Mike Klein <mklein at vxappliance.com> wrote:
> Key travel sucks on them. Not a good typing experience. Hard to home
>  your fingers on keys.
>
>  They do look great though!
>
>  If you're not a real typer you will be happy.
>
>  mike

I am definitely a touch typist, but I'm adaptable. I can use my Psion
Series 5 to good effect, as well as a tiny folding IR keyboard for my
Handspring Visor. (Too bad the Nokias don't have IR... of course I'd
still be lacking a driver.) They both have sculpted keys, though, so
it's easy to home your fingers. I'm not expecting a desktop (or even
full-sized laptop) keyboard experience. Apple does tend to place form
before function, image over substance, and hype above reality, so
don't get me started...

But I digress. What I really need to know if it's *compatible*, as in
plug-and-play. If it won't work with the N800 or kubuntu out of the
box, I'm not interested.

But if I could find something the size of my IR keyboard for a
reasonable price that's compatible, I'd jump at it. $80 for the Apple
keyboard is way at the top end of what I'm willing to pay, and then
only if it will work with my laptop and desktop as well. $130-$150 for
something that cost the manufacturer $10 at most to make is not my
idea of reasonable (the "Stowaway" model under various brands.) The
even smaller thumb keyboards (akin to the built-in N810 keyboard) are
not an option, either, as that would defeat the purpose.

There's a cool little device that projects an image of a keyboard on
any surface, but it's too expensive and won't work on a lap or leg. I
forget who makes it and what it's called, but aside from the coolness
factor and tiniest possible size for toting around, it also lacks any
feedback feel and requires a reasonably flat and relatively large area
to work.

Mark